modern-day practice of burning sage (or sage combined with other
dried herbs) in personal smudging rituals and ceremonies is based
on a combination of the spiritual, medicinal, herbal and cultural
teachings of the past.
a smudge ritual or a smudge ceremony is performed to correct the
energy in a home, in an office or even in a person. This is accomplished
by burning sage or sage and a combination of herbs, in a focused,
intentional way to cleanse out negative energy and replenish positive
time to have a smudging ceremony done is the following:
When someone new moves into the home to live with current members
of the household, bringing their possessions (possibly their children
and/or their pets) into the space.
* Following the completion of a major home improvement project.
* Following a Feng Shui consultation, and after any changes suggested
by the Feng Shui Practitioner have been made to the interior (or
exterior) of the home - changes that are meant to shift/improve
the energy-flow inside the home.
* Following a divorce or separation, where one party has moved all
of their possessions out of the mutual home and into a new home
of their own.
* At the time of a major "life-change" for anyone who
lives in the home (such as the birth of a child, a major career
change, children leaving home for college or to live on their own,
retirement, diagnosis of a chronic illness, etc.)
* Following a serious illness or death of someone (or a cherished
family pet) who has lived in the home.
* Following a natural disaster (like an earthquake, fire or flood).